Turner Tantrums

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Big Babies


As of today, I am 36 weeks into my pregnancy, which means I have 4 weeks left. Technically speaking. My due date is Sept. 9th. Anytime anyone asks when I'm due, I will tell them Sept. 9th, but that I will deliver in August. Why, you ask? Because I make big babies, like my mom (my sister Heidi weighed 11 lb 12 oz at birth and broke the record as the largest baby at that time born at Round Rock hospital-no C Section, either).

With Rowan, I went into labor at 36 weeks, went to the hospital, they admitted me, then sent me home. With no baby. My doctor was out of town on vacation, but when she came back and saw how big I was, she immediately scheduled the soonest induction appointment that she could for the following week. Thankfully, Rowan ended up coming on his own 6 days early and weighed a whopping 10 lb 10.10 oz. Big babies are usually not healthy babies, and he spent his first 5 days in the NICU. His delivery was quick, and afterwards he had low O2 levels, had a hard time getting the fluid out of his lungs (it gets squeezed out during delivery, but his was super quick-no pushing, and hence he had tons of fluid in his lungs at birth), and had a hard time keeping his big self warm. Granted, he came home healthy after 5 days, and for that I am very grateful. I am grateful for both of my boys and Nadia. Still, I am hoping that Nadia is only 8 or 9 pounds and healthy. I want to be able to hold her after she is born, instead of having her rushed off to the NICU like both Hayden and Rowan were. Wish me luck.

To prove how large Rowan was, here is a picture of our dear friend Nathan at 2 years old holding Rowan when he was only a week old. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Dan and Merideth said...

Hope you get that baby out soon! Rowan was HUGE!

good luck! hope all goes well!