Turner Tantrums

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Tonsillectomy/Adenoidectomy


My baby Hayden got his tonsils and adenoids removed on May 5th. He's pretty much been sick ever since (cough/sinus infection/ear infections, etc.), but I'm still glad we had it done. Basically, he had huge tonsils, and his adenoids blocked 75% of his nasal passage. They said it was probably why he was colicky, never slept really well, preferred a bottle as a baby, always leaned his head back, snored really loud, was constipated for over a year, etc. They also said he'd probably go through a huge growth spurt now, because he could go into a deeper sleep/REM and release more growth hormone. I'm amazed at how soundly he sleeps, now. Here's a picture of him right before going into surgery. He was soooo brave. He had slight complications after surgery when his O2 levels were low and he didn't want to wake-up, but after being there most of the day, they let us take him home. He ended up being allergic to the pain meds (codeine) and broke out in a rash, etc, so we had to take him off of it. Then, most children's OTC meds were recalled, so we had a hard time finding OTC meds to give him for the pain, so he basically cried in pain for about a week, and still broke out in a rash. Plus, antibiotics like Amoxicillin make Hayden manic, so he would have manic episodes for about an hour or two everyday where he just wasn't himself AT ALL. Needless to say, I'm glad that that is over with and I just know we did the right thing. I'm pretty sure Rowan will get his removed soon, too, but I'd rather wait until he's a little older since he tends to have asthma-like issues.

2 comments:

Isabell said...

Hayden just saw this post and said, "Man, that was a great time, I got to eat popsicles and watch Dad play my new Mario Bros game. Did you have a great time?" Sorry to burst your bubble, Hayden, but No, mama didn't have a great time...

Dan and Merideth said...

I'm glad your baby boy is feeling better! I love reading your blog! Thanks for letting me peek into your life! :)