Turner Tantrums

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Introducing Nadia Von Turner

Nadia Von Turner


Before


Rowan's nurse is on the right (Kristin)




After

Introducing, Nadia Von Turner, born 9/10/10, 9 lb. 1 oz, 22 in, 12:47 pm

Friday, 9/10/10, at 4 in the morning, my water broke. Kevin's parent's came over to watch the boys, and my mom and sister Heidi met me at the hospital about an hour later. My contractions always start a few minutes a part. Around 7-8, I got an epidural. Around 10, the doctor on duty told me that after reviewing Rowan's delivery and seeing that he had shoulder dystocia (the shoulders were stuck during delivery), he told me that he doesn't allow his patients to have anything but C-sections afterwards, but that it was up to me. He said my baby looked about 7.5 pounds from the outside but felt larger on the inside. Of course we opted for safety first, so Kevin and I decided on a C-section. They prepped me for a C-section, but then Nadia was crowning. The doctor called a small army into the room, had an even larger army on standby outside the room, and then they got me ready for a "normal" delivery. After an hour and a half of not allowing me to push, the doctor decided to close shop and come back later to see if Nadia would come out on her own. In the meantime, I was given the painful antibiotics via IV, screamed my guts out, and then the nurse decided she would just call the doctor and have me push. The nurse (Ali) was convinced the baby would be out in two pushes. Plus, the nurse (Kristin) from Rowan's delivery arrived, and she remembered Rowan's delivery well, so I felt a little better with her there (she said that my last doctor used the wood screw technique to get Rowan out). Well, the doctor and his army returned, and after two pushes, Nadia arrived. I even got to hold her after delivery, and Kevin cut the cord (both are firsts). She scored an 8 and a 9 from the two nurses on her Apgar test (10 is the best), and she nursed like a pro. After the very scary ordeal of having to have an emergency vaginal delivery surrounded by an army of professionals, I was in shock that I had an extremely healthy baby girl with no complications at delivery. Better safe than sorry. I have a million pictures to upload, but I decided it is always easiest to just start with a few. Well, that is my birth story, and believe me, it was scary! When the doctor came to discharge me he told me to never scare him like that again and that he was sweating severely. He said he never had a baby die on him during delivery before, and I guess he was scared this was going to be his first time. If he thought he was scared, he should have been inside my head. Kevin actually felt comforted by the small army, on the other hand. Well, I'll post cuter pics, soon, but I'm going to go back and cuddle my adorable baby girl. She seriously is the sweetest, cutest, baby girl, ever!!

2 comments:

Erin Chavez said...

wow! i'm glad everything turned out well and I'm looking forward to seeing the little angel :)

Unknown said...

Me too! Sounds scary indeed. Glad everything is good and you welcomed a beautiful healthy little girl.